Monday, June 11, 2007

Safari and Windows... How much will it matter?

Well if you haven't heard already... Safari is out... On Windows. I was not expecting that. Though once they announced how they were going to make the applications run on Iphone, it made a little more sense. What I'm wondering is what is going to be the adoption rate? I mean how many people would actually move? In my house, it will only be my brother, but think about people and how the cling to their browswers

For example:
Mozilla people cling to their broswer. Some are fanitical about it. Some use it cause it's better on security than IE. Some people use it cause it's what they know. 
The only ones I would expect to bleed off Mozilla are people who are seeking the fastest Browser or who use Firefox on Windows because they don't already have safari. Also if they buy an I phone they may also switch.

IE: I see people who use IE are either uninformed, use it sparely, or love IE. Though the third one is hard to believe there are people who do. I only see them switching are the uninformed, by finding out or Safari being installed on the computer by another and being instructed to use it. I phone again could switch others.

Others: Such as Opera are pretty much set in their browsers that they use. However, if these people need another browser because their's won't handle some information, maybe they will consider Safari, but more likely than not they will stick with IE or firefox.

So with this I don't expect that many conversions to Safari in percents, atleast now. However, this is only for now. Either way, once Safari beta become 3.0 and the Iphone hits the market, I expect that Safari will raise quite a few points. And that's all I could hope for.

6 comments:

Marcos El Malo said...

Oh, man! I totally forgot the WWDC keynote was today! Thanks for the reminder.

Marcos El Malo said...

I usually avoid speculating on what Uncle Steve and Apple will bring us next. It's too much like peeking at your (Xmas) presents.

But at the D5 conference a few weeks back, Steve commented on how the dot mac service was in need of an overhaul. Steve Jobs wouldn't say that in public if it wasn't already getting that overhaul and was close to being ready. I was actually expecting him to show it off at WWDC.

However, Safari for Windows adds a new wrinkle. I'm thinking Apple is going to introduce a new online service (dot mac xtreem or what have you) that will be Windows Safari compatible. And it's going to tie into iTunes, iPods, iPhone, AppleTV, maybe other Mac programs that Apple will port to Windows.

Hey, if your bro is on windows because of games, tell him that EA and Id are going to be making games for the Mac again. How about them Apples!

PS: This is way off topic, but are you happa (i.e., half asian?) You might be, from your picture. I'm Jew-panese.

Toki-chan said...

That would make sense. And that would defiantly raise the use of Safari. *giggles* I like it. Apples. He can't afford to get a Mac. His 300 Gateway does fine. Oh, no all I have is some cherokee in me. My mom looks indian sometimes though. Jew-panse that cool!

Lawrence said...

Cherokee! Woot! Me too! *high five*

Marcos El Malo said...

Yeah, Dad is Jewish (non-observing) and Mom (Rest in Peace) was Japanese. I wasn't raised in any particular faith.

Anonymous said...

What upset me the most is that Steve seems to believe that people who'll switch come from Firefox ... he is completely wrong there !!!

As you spotted it out, Firefox users use this one because they discovered it, and so, they love it. I am posting from my mac, sorry, but from Firefox ... I dislike the way Safari behave ...

And most of all, as long as Safari (or another one, I don't really care) will not have this search integrated into the address bar (not the little box beside, directly the address bar), I won't switch ... I use it waayyy too much to live without it ...

The only way they could grow is ... releasing a better version, and advertising on it, to make innocent (understand uninformed) *cough* IE *cough* users switch ...